Zone Files Mysteriously Changing

Jim Lopresto Jim_Lopresto at learningtree.com
Thu Jul 6 16:21:51 UTC 2000

Hi:

I am new to administering DNS and this list, so if this question/problem has
been answered/fixed in previous posts, please forgive me for asking about this
again.

I experienced the following problem twice.  The first time when we rebuilt our
Primary DNS server, and the second time last week.

It appears that the zone files on my Primary DNS box have changed by themselves.
Below is how they looked before the "change":

@    IN   SOA  learn1.learningtree.com        root.learningtree.com  (
                    2000050101     ; Serial
;                   ;_________^    ; Serial number ends here
                    10800                ; Refresh after 3 hours
                    3600                 ; Retry after 1 hour
                    1209600              ; Expire after 2 weeks
                    86400 )                   ;  Minimum TTL of 1 day

          IN   NS   learn1.learningtree.com.
          IN   NS   learn3.learningtree.com.

          IN   MX   learn3.learningtree.com.
          IN   MX   learn1.learningtree.com.

After this "change" takes place, this is what the file looks like:

@    IN   SOA  learn1.learningtree.com        root.learningtree.com  (
               2000050101     ; serial
               10800          ; refresh
               3600      ; retry
               1209600   ; expire
               86400          ; default_ttl
               )
@         IN   NS   learn1.learningtree.com.
@         IN   NS   learn3.learningtree.com.
@         IN   MX   learn3.learningtree.com.
@         IN   MX   learn1.learningtree.com.

I noticed that all of the files changed at the same time on June 30.  I took a
look at the log and saw that named had been restarted, and the Primary DNS
system had sent NOTIFY requests to the Slave DNS system.  Other than that, I was
unable to see any strangeness as far as named is concerned.

Like I said, this is the second time this has happened, and I would really like
to know what causes this to happen.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim