Howto resolve all unknown domains to one ipaddress?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 6 22:07:02 UTC 2000

The Borg wrote:

> How do I tell my nameserver(named 8.2.2-P5) resolve all unknow domains to
> one ip address? I would like all people who use my nameserver and try to get
> a domain resolved that doesn't exist to go to my site.
>
> email any replies to lonie at mediaone.net Thanks.

1. Replicate every known zone (including the root zone and TLD zones) and set
your machine up as master for them.
2. In the replicated copy of each zone, add at least one wildcard entry (you'll
need more than one if there are subdomains within the zone) pointing to your
site.

Obviously this would only be feasible for a relatively small intranet.

If you want this functionality for Internet names but only for the
HTTP protocol, a specially-configured web proxy may fit the bill.