Very basic newbie question

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jul 10 15:18:58 UTC 2000

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 12:10:06AM +0000, Phil White wrote:
> Apologies, but I would appreciate a quick explanation of the following
> point...
>
> Can somone explain the difference between a secondary DNS server, and
> what my net-admin calls a 'mirrored primary'
>
> Tnx.

It's always a mistake to ask anyone to explain a term made up by
someone else.  Purely at a guess, I would say that his or her "mirrored
primary" is a slave to your "true primary", and that all other peer
name servers are slaved to that one.

Note that, to any name server not involved in the master-slave
relationship, there is no such thing as "master", "slave", "primary",
or "secondary".  All posted name servers are treated as peers.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B