Multihost problem

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Mon Jul 10 17:57:22 UTC 2000

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 11:50:46AM +0000, Krzysztof Zaleski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have the following problem with bind 8 Patch5. There is a host
> (solaris 2.5.1) with primary IP: 212.106.3.254 and secondary 195.116.81.1.
> There is a domain pol.pl with the following entries:
>
> home    	IN    	A    	212.106.3.254
> home    	IN    	A    	195.116.81.1
>
> This server is to be authoritative for this domain.
>
> Also, there are entries in two rev files:
>
> 3.106.212.in-addr.arpa:
> 254    	IN    	PTR    	home.pol.pl.
>
> and
>
> 81.1106.195.in-addr.arpa:
> 1    	    	IN    	PTR    	home.pol.pl.
>
> Now, if I start named there are NO errors loading pol.pl zone. Then I do
> nslookup and check pol.pl domain and it says Non-authoritative answer. Also
> secondary nameserver is not able to xfer pol.pl zone saying "Error getting
> serial numer for pol.pl". The most weird thing is that if I do any changes
> to pol.pl zone and change serial numer, nslookup shows new serial and finds
> new entries. It seems that bind loads pol.pl zone, puts all data into cache
> and throws away that zone. Why there are no errors i messages? There is
> no problem with any other domain for which this server is authoritative
> including rev zones. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Greetings
> Krzysztof

I'm not sure that you have sent all the relevant information.  There
may be something missing.

Do you have NS records in your local zone files?  These should name the
same name servers as in the parent domain's delegation records.

Do you have any records in your 'syslog' output after the domain is
loaded, when you start getting the "non-authoritative" messages?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B