Name Servers

Stefan Probst stefan.probst at opticom.v-nam.net
Tue Jul 11 01:47:37 UTC 2000

May I add, that according to my very limited knowledge - pls. correct me,
where I am wrong - there are actually two steps - at least with "InterNIC"
(NS):
First you have to register your host. (one time per host)
Then you can use that registered host as nameserver for other domains.
(one time for every domain).

If you register a new domain with InterNIC, you'll have to name two
authoritative name servers. I am not sure, whether you need hosts which
are registered with them, or whethere it is ok to use hosts which are
registered with another registrar.

I also do not know, whether the requirement concerning the "registered"
hosts also applies to other registrars in the gTLDs and/or the ccTLDs.

So, in short back to the original question:
- you register your authoritative nameserver_s_ with the organization,
  which is authoritative for your parent domain.
- you may have to register the host on which you are running the
nameserver
  but I don't know the exact requirements.

HTH
Stefan

At 13:31 10.07.00 -0400, Gary Wardell wrote:
-------------------------

> You would register your DNS host (server) with whoever your domain is
> registered with.
>
> For example, my domain, yeshua.cc is registered with eNic.cc.  My DNS,
> ns1.yeshua.cc is registered (has a host record) with eNic.cc.  I don't
> register my secondary because it's in another domain on another in
another
> network and the owner of the DNS actin as my secondary has registered
that
> host.
>
> If your domain, the domain the DNS will be in, is registered with
InterNic