Bounced Mail :(

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Tue Jul 11 18:15:50 UTC 2000

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 11:04:53AM -0400, alex wrote:

> You are right about the MX/Cname oxymoronic :)
> However the following zone file does exactly the same ...
> Rejecting the domain.tld mail
>
> As you can see I commented out the MX record and it
> did not make any difference.
> The book says that sendmail does not really need an
> MX record :)

If all you're going to do is send mail to person at machine ... no, it
doesn't; but it saves a lookup in some versions of sendmail.

If you're going to do mail to person at domain, then you should have an MX
record.

> Is this perhaps an indication that the problem is in send mail
> rather than BIND? If so, why is the displayed error referring
> to MX records, a BIND resource?
>

> I actually use this zone file rather that the one before :(
>
> alex

OK, so you DON'T have an MX record [it is commented out].  Is it any
wonder that mail to foo at www00.com doesn't resolve?  That is done by the
MX record.  Or would have been.

OBTW, this agrees with a check I had just done [before the Sun repair
guy showed up] that showed no MX record for www00.com.

Why did you show a fake zone file before?  Really deflates any
enthusiasm for helping you.  How do we know you're telling the truth
THIS time?  ;-/

OBTW, the MIT NS contradicts what the root servers tell me.  They say
cube.com.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B