Firewalling DNS

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Wed Jul 12 00:08:25 UTC 2000

> Hi,
>
> we control a primary DNS which hosts a number of domains with our ISP as
> secondary, as DNS is so hackable we thought we could just block DNS to our
> server apart from, from our ISP. Is this generally acceptable, or do we need
> to allow the whole world to our DNS? Any assistance greatly appreciated...
>

> Jody Lakin

	If your server is listed in the NS records you should be
	willing to accept queries from anywhere.  If not you only
	need to accept queries from your secondaries.  If you do
	this you have a "stealth master" configuration.  Regardless
	of whether you have the master listed in the NS records it
	should be listed in the SOA's origin field.

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com