Config multiple domains on one IP address

Harold Pritchett harold at uga.edu
Wed Jul 12 13:07:32 UTC 2000

"symbolicJ!M" wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I've taken the advice I constantly find here, and have wasted my money
> on DNS & BIND... my network has almost nothing in common with their
> example scenario, but I did get some useful background information, and
> a general sense of amazement that this protocol makes the 'Net go round.

Two things come to mind.  First, make sure that the root servers for all
of the domains served actually point to your nameserver.

Second, you should have only a single domain within a single zone file

create a zone file like this (call it zone.db):

@ 			IN SOA .... (blah blahblah)

			IN 	NS 	NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM.
			in	a	111.222.333.253

localhost		IN 	A 	127.0.0.1
ns1.mydomain.com.	in	a	111.222.333.252
*			in	a	111.222.333.253

Now, in your named.conf,  you need an entry for each domain you
wish to support.  Something like this:

zone "mydomain.com" 	{ type master; file "zone.db"; };
zone "mydomain.net" 	{ type master; file "zone.db"; };
zone "seconddomain.com"	{ type master; file "zone.db"; };
zone "thirddomain.com" 	{ type master; file "zone.db"; };
zone "anotherdomain.com"{ type master; file "zone.db"; };
zone "somebody.com" 	{ type master; file "zone.db"; };

No guarantees about syntax.  This is off the top of my head, but
you should get the general idea.

Hsrold