named crash many times a day - Memory leak ?

Andrew Gillham gillhaa at ghost.whirlpool.com
Wed Jul 12 16:57:01 UTC 2000

Jim Reid writes:

> Hmm. I don't think 8.2.2P5 was out a year ago, so if someone was
> complaining about frequent crashes then, I doubt if their problem is
> related to yours. [Check the mailing list archives at www.isc.org to
> be sure.] It's also highly unlikely that there's a memory leak in
> 8.2.2P5. If there was, we would have almost certainly heard about it
> by now and seen a patch for it. FYI I believe that f.root-servers.net
> runs 8.2.2P5 on some flavour of Tru64 Unix, so if this platform did
> have a memory leak, someone just might have noticed it long before
> today. :-)

Do the root servers use Dynamic DNS?  This is the apparently cause of
my problems as far as I can tell with dmalloc, boehm-gc, etc.

> It is unusual for a well configured name server to run out of memory.
> It's even more unusual for that to be caused by a memory leak. There
> will probably some local OS configuration issue that accounts for the
> problem. A memory leak would tend to suggest there was a generic bug
> in the code that would affect everybody. But it seems to be just your
> name server that's running out of memory. That would tend to suggest
> there's a local problem with your server and not some memory leak that
> affects a substantial number of the world's name servers.

Mine is running out of memory also. :(  It doesn't happen all of the time
so I am confused.  Currently it is only about 6MB, while yesterday it kept
climbing well past 256MB.

-Andrew