problems trying to add new in-addr.arpa. zones

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Wed Jul 12 16:58:10 UTC 2000

    Gordon> I've trying to add to add two new in-addr.arpa. zones to
    Gordon> an existing primary nameserver.

    Gordon> I've created zone files for the new zones, and added them
    Gordon> into the config files.  I can't see a problem with the
    Gordon> syntax in either.

    Gordon> However, when I reload the nameserver with either
    Gordon> ndc reload or ndc reconfig
    Gordon> the primary silently ignores the new zones.

There will be something in the logs. What do they say? If there's no
mention of the new zones when you reload or reconfig the server, then
the name server can't be reading the named.conf file you updated. Or
else ndc is controlling a second name server process on the box. If
the logs do mention these new zones, the logs will tell you what went
wrong when it either parsed the zone{} statements or loaded the zone
files.