Dumb question - DNS done by me or ISP

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Jul 12 21:41:11 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 02:18:06PM -0700, Steven M. Klass wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 	I've got the IP 216.160.204.35.  This is owned by my ISP.  In setting up
> bind is it necessary for me to create the zone files for
> 216.160.204.35.?  If they are doing the DNS for that IP, I should never
> have to create a zone file for it, unless if I lease the IP from them
> right?  If that is true then, is it ok for my named.conf file to look like
> this?

These are totally separate questions.

Yes, the reverse-DNS zone file for 127.0.0.1 looks fins.

"Lease"????  What do you mean?

If you have been assigned only a single IP address by your ISP, you
don't really need to set up a reverse-DNS zone for it.  If it is a
static assignment, you might want to ask them nicely to set the reverse
DNS to point to your name for it, if you really want that.  They might
say yes.  If it is a dynamic assignment, then you have to do some
tricky stuff just to get forward DNS to work right, and don't bother
with reverse DNS.  ;-]

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B