Generate Reverse Deligations

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 13 16:38:49 UTC 2000

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 02:35:47AM +0000, Frederick Czajka wrote:

> It is the assumtion part that is bothering me.  How can I assume that
> my server will find 10.in-addr.arpa. if it can not find a deligtion
> for it from the root server.  I guess this is more a question of
> semantics.  I dont not expect for example a server that is deligated
> the zone 215.70.10.in-addr.arpa. to authoritive for any thing beneath
> this aka 70.10.in-addr.arpa. and therefore it must use the standard
> method of resolving this address by starting at the root. And this is
> where this conversion has gone around.  IF 10.0.0.0 is private address
> space the senario would go . ---> arpa. ----> in-addr.arpa. ---> a
> response of reserved by IANA or nol response.

The only name server that would legitimately be looking for a 10.*.*.*
address would be one inside a private internet.

If its own address were 10.*.*.*, it could not even ever talk to any of
the name servers out on the Internet, including the root server and
those for .arpa and .in-addr.arpa.

This name server MUST either be authoritative for .10.in-addr.arpa [or
the relevant portion of it], or it must forward to another internal
name server that is authoritative for it.

Once an authoritative name server is found, the search stops.  Why
shoud it continue?  An authoritative name server knows EVERYTHING about
the domain.  That is why it is authoritative.  It is THE name server,
the ONE name server, the ONLY name server, that you have to ask.  Just
like any of its peer authoritative name servers.

If there is NOT an authoritative name server - well, the query will
just go on out to the Internet, where it will never be answered.

There will NEVER be a delegation from 10.in-addr.arpa to anything else
on the Internet, nor from those other private internet addresses that I
mentioned to you earlier.  How could there be?  Millions of people are
using them at hundreds or thousands of sites, without ever informing
anybody outside their private internets.  ISI couldn't delegate to all
of them.  ;-)

HTH?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B