Contains Our Address Errors

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Fri Jul 14 17:27:11 UTC 2000

    Will> When I get an error like this:

    Will> Jul 14 00:03:57 ns2 named[26938]: ns_resp: query(FOO.com) contains our address

    Will> Am I obligated to add this as one of my zones, even though I
    Will> have no idea what is is or why it's pointed to me?

It depends. But since you chose to conceal the actual domain name,
there's not much more anyone can say.

What has happened is your name server has done a lookup for some name.
The answer that came back included the address of your name
server. This probably means the name server is misconfigured or some
zone has erroneous zone data. The log message is warning you that your
name server has detected something which might cause SERVFAIL errors.