primary&secondary

Mark E. Drummond drummond-m at rmc.ca
Fri Jul 14 18:50:30 UTC 2000

Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> Why ever would it do that???????
>
> To the 'Net, all of your name servers are peers.  Half of the time,
> connections should be attempted to one, and half the time to the other.
> That is, unless you deliberately stopped the random order of output
> that BIND normally gives you.

We are viewing this from differant locations. I am refering to clients
on the local net. You are thinking of the outside world If you have the
fol /etc/resolv.conf:

	domain super.fly
	nameserver 192.168.1.1
	nameserver 192.168.1.2

then _ALL_ of your clients DNS queries will go to 192.168.1.1, even if
192.168.1.1 is belly up. The clients resolver will wait ~60secs before
"failing over" to 192.168.1.2, so you end up with a ~60 sec delay for
every new request until a) 192.168.1.1 comes back online or b) you
change the entry order in your resolv.conf.

Mark Drummond|ICQ#19153754|mailto:mark.drummond at rmc.ca
UNIX System Administrator|Royal Military College of Canada
The Kingston Linux Users Group|http://signals.rmc.ca/klug/
Saving the World ... One CPU at a Time

Please excuse me if I am terse. I answer dozens of emails every day.