SV: Novice Question about reverse DNS

Johnny Damtoft JOD at sonofon.dk
Wed Jul 19 08:26:54 UTC 2000

If your ISP has devided a class C-Net to you and your ISP, its your ISP that
has to define the IP's that you are using into his DNS Server.

He has to do it as CNAMEs to get it working right :)

Eks.

If we take the good old 192.168 addys :)

In your ISP's zonefile (PTR zonefile for 192.168) he should write something
like this :)

$ORIGIN 98.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
$GENERATE 64-127 $ CNAME $.64/26.98.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
64/26.98.168.192.in-addr.arpa.	IN	NS	ns1.yourdns.domain.com.

This generates CNAMEs  :)

Does it make any cense

Med venlig hilsen  /  Best regards

             Johnny Damtoft - jod at sonofon.dk
             UNIX Systemadministrator

             SONOFON A/S
             Skelagervej 1
             9100 Aalborg
             Denmark
Tel:         +45 7212 1212

Direct:      +45 7212 7632
Fax:         +45 7212 7989 - Att: Johnny Damtoft (JOD)

Microsoft:   "where do you want to go today?"
Linux:       "where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD/UNIX:    "are you guys coming, or what?"