Intermitant DNS errors

Shane Wegner shane at cm.nu
Wed Jul 19 18:21:50 UTC 2000

Hi all,

I am experiencing a DNS problem which really doesn't make sence.  The
problem is that some servers intermitantly timeout while looking up the
wapvi.bc.ca domain.  Most servers are fine.  It's just a small percentage
which do this.  Trying the same server a short time later will often work
and it will resolve fine.

The wapvi.bc.ca zone has three nameservers.  When attempting to track the
problem, I did a query on all three for the zone using nslookup.  All were
authorative for that zone.  The named.conf for the zone is as follows on all
three servers.
zone "wapvi.bc.ca" {
type slave;
or type master;
file "wapvi.bc.ca";
allow-query {
any;
};
allow-transfer {
none;
or a list of secondaries on the primary server
};
};

I will attach the zone file here.  If anyone can provide any information on
how I can track this down, I would appreciate it.

Shane

--- cut ---
$ORIGIN bc.ca.
wapvi	IN	SOA viper.wapvi.bc.ca. hostmaster.wapvi.bc.ca. (
		2000070619 10800 1800 604800 3600 )
		IN	NS	wapvi.cm.nu.
		IN	NS	continuum.cm.nu.
		IN	NS	odyssey.cm.nu.
		IN	MX	10 viper.wapvi.bc.ca.
		IN	MX	20 continuum.cm.nu.
		IN	MX	25 odyssey.cm.nu.
		IN	TXT	"The Western Association of Persons With Vision Imparement"
		IN	A	209.53.12.101
$ORIGIN wapvi.bc.ca.
localhost	IN	A	127.0.0.1
viper	IN	A	209.53.12.101