notify or not to notify

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Jul 20 00:12:39 UTC 2000

Depends on what you mean by "REV zone". If it's a zone just for your
loopback address, then there's no reason to have any slaves for it, and,
in the absence of slaves, notify is totally unnecessary and has no
effect. If it's some other "REV zone" that has slaves, then notify would
be just as useful for it as it would for any other zone with slaves.
(Hopefully you already know that the raison d'etre of notify is to speed
convergence between a master and its slaves.)

Note that the default for the global notify option is "yes", so you'd
only need to add "notify yes" to a zone statement to override an
explicit "notify no" global option.

- Kevin