No Dynamic DNS Packets

ccantu at us.ibm.com ccantu at us.ibm.com
Thu Jul 20 16:42:16 UTC 2000

I'm in the process of compiling BIND on my Unix machine, but it's AIX so of
course I have problems.  Currently I am using Windows as my test
environment (even bigger problems).  I'm trying to get DDNS to work on
Windows before Unix because I may have to do this again soon in an
environment without Unix.

Here's my configuration.

Windows 2000 Server is both DHCP Server & DNS Server
DHCP Configuration
   *  Automatically update DHCP client information in DNS
      --  Always update DNS

   *  Discard forward (name-to-address) lookups when lease expires

   *  Enable updates for DNS clients that do not support dynamic updates

      (The 1st and last bullets should allow for dynamic updates even for
NT4 workstations which are not DDNS-aware.)

When a workstation boots, it successfully gets an IP address from the DHCP
server but I never see the DHCP server contact the DNS server to
dynamically update his records.  I see the DHCP packets being issued.  I
can also see DNS packets when using nslookup, so I think DNS is working.

I have one possible lead.  I have to assume the PC knows nothing but its
machine name.  So I've set up the DHCP server to give the client its IP
Address, DNS server, WINS server, Router, and Domain Name.  I see
everything but the Domain Name coming accross in the DHCP ACK.  Without it,
I don't think the client could do DDNS on its own since it wouldn't be able
to specify its FQDN.  However, the DHCP server (from the above
configuration) should be handling everything on behalf of the client so
this shouldn't come into play.  So maybe it's not such a good lead after
all.

I understand this is not a direct BIND issue, but I've read the RFCs, have
the cricket book, and have exhausted the online Microsoft documentation.
If anyone has some information or knows of some other resource I haven't
cosulted, I would greatly appreciate it.

For extra credit:  if someone has a network trace of a DDNS update, I would
be interested in looking at it.  I just want to be sure all my bits are in
the right place when constructing my own DDNS tests.

Thanks

Carlos