w2k dns setup in mix unix environment

Maggie Gee Maggie.Gee at M3iSystems.QC.CA
Thu Jul 20 16:03:48 UTC 2000

Our internal primary dns is a sun machine running bind 8.2.2 p5, with
secondaries running on NT 4 & another unix machine.  When we upgrade
to w2k, the w2k workstations will be using dhcp & dynamic dns, to update

the dns  While the unix machines will continue to have static ip
addresses.
For this upgrade, would it be better:

       1.   to leave the primary as is and have w2k machines be a
subdomain of it.
             The w2k machines will be authorative for this subdomain
       2.  get rid of bind on the unix machines & have the w2k machines
be
            authorative on the domain.  Could you mix static & dynamic
            addresses in the same segment?  Is there any other problems
            that we might encounter in this setup?  Is it possible to
have unix
            be a secondary in this setup?