Bind Software

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 20 21:06:31 UTC 2000

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 08:12:55AM -0700, hiba dagher wrote:

> I need to configure a Domain Name, does the machine have to be a SunOS or can it be on any other machine? Does it have to be an Unix system? Can it be implemented on an NT server? and last, does it have to be on a seperate machine to function only as a DNS?

Any Unix machine will do.  There is an MSW-32 bit port, but I would
recommend a Unix [or Linux or *BSD] system.

Many recommend it being on a separate machine, both because it requires
a lot of main memory, and for security reasons.  This is not a
requirement - there are domains out there consisting of a single
machine that does everything in that domain.  Most of them seem to be
Linux, OpenBSD, or FreeBSD systems.  MSW-NT can't stand the strain - if
you are using BIND or MS-DNS on MSW-NT, definitely put it on a separate
machine.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B