resolver problem in syslog

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 20 21:54:33 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 02:20:02PM +0300, Elric of Melnibone wrote:
> I have the following problem: In my /etc/resolv.conf I use 2 nameserver
> directives as follows:
>
> nameserver name.server.for.local.intranet
> nameserver name.server.for.my.domain
>
> the first nameserver is primary master for my intranet which is a subdomain
> in my domain. The problem is that when syslog receives the logs from several
> machines it logs the FQDN only for the machines that are in my local
> intranet e.g machine.noc.mydomain and not these directly under my domain,
> and for the rest it logs their IP. So far I use perl to continuously convert
> IP to FQDN Isn't there some other way?

What you must understand, is that EACH nameserver listed in your
resolv.conf file must be able to resolve ALL names and addresses.  If
your resolver routines can reach the "name.server.for.local.intranet",
they will NEVER, EVER, EVER under any circumstances query your
"name.server.for.my.domain".

I suspect from your description that the first server can ONLY resolve
your internal addresses, and does not forward to anyh other server to
resolve non-local addresses.  That would give the results that you are
seeing.

I would add some crack about Moorcock here, but you MIGHT have a sword
...  ;->

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B