Zone Top.. or..

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Jul 20 23:52:58 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:45:06PM -0700, Mark R. Nathan wrote:
> I rebuilt my DNS and added a new HOST and DOMAIN.  I have an error in
> my log that say " no NS RRs found at zone top " Which I am assuming
> means that not all registrys have been updated and my DNS can not
> resolve it yet.  Is that true?

There are no "registries" to update.

> I can nslookup on one machine and get a listing of the correct DNS
> host but when I nslookup miramat.com on the BSD server I get a
> 'server failed'.

This is surprising.  Another server must be responding.

> [[db.dns1]]
>
> $TTL 86400
> miramat.com.            IN SOA   dns1.miramat.com.  root.nathan.net.  (
>                          2000041901      ; Serial
>                          10800           ; Refresh
>                          3600            ; Retry
>                          604800          ; Expire
>                          86400  )        ; Minimum
>
> dns1                    IN  NS          dns1.miramat.com.

This line says that this machine is the name server for itself only.
It should be:

			IN  NS		dns1.miramat.com.

Note that it inherits the left-hand side of the previous record.  You
could also use the domain name ["miramat.com."] or just "@".

>                          IN  A           209.204.28.46
>                          IN  MX  10      mailhost.miramat.com.

Because you had "dns1" as the LHS of the previous record, these also
inherit "dns1" and refer only to it - and NOT the domain.

Do you want the domain to have the above IP address?  Or "dns1"?  By
now you should know enough to configure it correctly.  ;-)

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B