Can't get to internal www server from the outside

Mark Johannessen mfjlaw at pacbell.net
Fri Jul 21 14:01:46 UTC 2000

Can anyone point me to an example to set up DNS for a www server (or
other services for that matter) on a box in an internal net
(192.168.x.x) which can be accessed from an external internet query?
My set up works internally, but when queried (or pinged) from the
outside - there's  no response.  I'm probably missing something basic
here ...

My Setup:

I have a linux (RH) box set up with BIND 8, which is also the gateway
(public IP
207.212.133.64) and a router to my internal net with a mixture of OSs
and boxes.  I have a
domain (rudeboysrecords.com) which I would like to serve up audio
streams using an Mac
streaming server (which is called "house" at 192.168.1.102 on
internal net).  The problem
is, "www.rudeboysrecords.com" resolves ok when using an internal
host, but not when
using an extenal internet connection (in fact, I can't ping that
domain externally, but can
internally).

The /etc/hosts file looks like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
207.212.133.64  ns1.3of4.com
192.168.1.100   lin.3of4.com
192.168.1.102   s1.rudeboysrecords.com  house

ns1 and lin are two interfaces on the linux router/DNS box.  ns1 is
on eth0 and lin is on
eth1 (the internal net card).  The named.conf file looks like this:

options {
         directory "/var/named";
         query-source address * port 53;
};

zone "." {
         type hint;
         file "root.hints";
};

zone "localhost" {
         type master;
         file "pz/localhost";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
         type master;
         file "pz/127.0.0";
};

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
         type master;
         file "pz/192.168.1";
};

zone "3of4.com" {
         type master;
         file "pz/3of4.com";
};

zone "rudeboysrecords.com" {
         type master;
         file "pz/rudeboysrecords.com";
};

and finally, pz/rudeboysrecords.com looks like this:

@TTL 86400
; rudeboysrecords.com
;
@       IN      SOA     s1.rudeboysrecords.com. hostmaster.rudeboysrecords.com.
(
2000070101      ; Serial
8H              ; refresh, seconds
2H              ; retry, seconds
1W              ; expire, seconds
1D )            ; minimum, seconds

NS      ns1.3of4.com.
NS      ns1.granitecanyon.com.
TXT     "Rude Boys Records"
MX      10 mail.3of4.com.

localhost       A       127.0.0.1
ns1             A       207.212.133.64
rbr           A       192.168.1.102
mail            CNAME   ns1
www             CNAME   rbr

Can anyone see the problem here or point me in the right direction or
maybe refer me to an
example somewhere where internal web servers are set up to respond to
external browser
requests?  I have the O'Reilly book but I still haven't a clue.

Thanks

Mark Johannessen