[Q] nsupdate .. and db file..

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 21 21:50:08 UTC 2000

HoKun, Chung wrote:

> Hi..all
> I use Linux (RedHat), BIND 8.
>
> I have a big problem in nsupdate.
>
> I updated name server through nsupdate.
> After roughly one hour , db file was changed strangely.
> It looks like memory dump.
>
> I guess It is result of nsupdate.
> BIND changes the RR set in memory with nsupdate. but,
> It doesn't immediatly change the db file. It maybe collect some nsupdate data,
> and modify the db file some time later. ( xxxx.log file maybe used for this way)
>
> I want to use nsupdate (dynamic update DNS).
> BUT, I want not to change the db file.
> Although It seems strange, I must use this way.
>
> Because, I made a some program to change db file.
> After nsupdate, I modify the db file through my program.
>
> For tracing the dynamic IP, we have many tranactions of nsupdate and
> we need to reform the db file very clearly, not memory dump.
> So, we need nsupdate and BIND doesn't change the db file.
>
> How can I prohibit BIND from change the db file according nsupdate ?

No, that's just the way it works. named has to write the zone changes *somewhere*,
so that it can reload the proper version of the zone when it restarts.

Seems to me that your main problem is that you're trying to use the zone file as a
kind of transaction log. This is a bad idea. The zone file is just where named
stores zone data, no more, no less. You should have whatever program is running
nsupdate maintain its *own* transaction log for every update it makes.