Load balancers

Simon Rainey srainey at rmplc.net
Tue Jul 25 07:03:00 UTC 2000

Hi,

The Cisco LocalDirector works for us but:

1. You need to set the connection timeout to 5 (minutes) for each real
server otherwise UDP connections persist for too long and you end up with
thousands of "concurrent sessions" and can exceed the system's limits.

2. It can't detect failure of a real server for UDP services so you need to
independently monitor each server (e.g. using Netsaint) and manually take
it out of service should it fail.

Other products may work better but we run Cisco end-to-end throughout our
networks.

Regards,
Simon.

Simon Rainey                        E-mail: srainey at rmplc.net
Principal Internet Consultant
RM IFL Engineering
Internet for Learning, Research Machines plc, New Mill House,
183 Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 4SE, England.