Split DNS and MX records

Pedersen, Peter (CPHXA) Peter.Pedersen at sas.dk
Thu Jul 27 09:27:59 UTC 2000

Hi,

we run split DNS with firewall-dns and internal dns-servers (forward to
firewall-DNS).
The problems is related to the MX records and mail delivery.

external zone, foo.com:

foo.com.		IN MX 10 mail.foo.com. # external mail server
(firewall)
mail.foo.com.		IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   # ip address of firewall
external interface
www.foo.com.		IN A zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz   #
.
.

Internal zone (shadow), foo.com

foo.com.		IN MX 10 mail.net.foo.com. # Internal mail server
www.foo.com.		IN A zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz
.
.

Internal zone, net.foo.com

mail.net.foo.com.	IN A yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy	#

We would like to avoid the shadow zone (with all external host defined) and
only have to define the MX records for foo.com, but since bind 8 we can not
just define the MX record for foo.com in the net.foo.com zone.
Any suggestions??

Best regards

			Peter Pedersen

			E-mail: 		peter.pedersen at sas.dk