Need help with a DNS config for a cluster

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Jul 28 14:13:12 UTC 2000

Even without all of the expensive Coyote Point gear, you can configure your BIND
servers to give out multiple IP's in a "fixed" order (using the "rrset-order"
option available in later versions of BIND 8), but as Jim pointed out, there's
no guarantee that the clients will know how to do address failover. Also,
nameservers not under your control may interfere with your best-laid plans --
either Coyote Point's dynamic or BIND's native "fixed" rrset-order -- by giving
out the addresses with randomness or "cyclic"ness when answering from their
caches. So this falls far short of an optimal failover solution. My guess is
that Coyote Point resorts to the despicable TTL=0 practice in order to defeat
this caching effect. As if we need yet another product wasting bandwidth and
nameserver resources...

- Kevin