stoopid question - split dns

Kelly Scroggins kelly at cliffhanger.com
Fri Jul 28 20:02:40 UTC 2000

I'm sorry for the basic question but I'm a little confused.

system : Red Hat 6.1
bind   : bind 8.2 ....

I have the 'outside' name server (with the limited database) set up as a
slave and it is not allowed to transfer data from the master.  Because I
don't want the entire world to see the internal network information.
According to the logs (/var/log/messages), all zone files are loading
without errors.

When setting up a split dns ... does the name server on the 'outside'
(that's the one with the limited database) have to be the master?  Can
it be the slave?

If it's the slave, then the zone info would expire?  And if it expires,
are the db files deleted from the system?

What have I mis-understood?

kelly