Glue Records for TLDs

Stefan Probst stefan.probst at opticom.v-nam.net
Mon Jul 31 09:04:53 UTC 2000

At 11:05 30.07.00 EDT, Eric wrote:
-------------------------

> > If there are records
> >
> > host.domain.com    IN A  x.x.x.x
> > sub.domain.com     IN NS ns.servers.com
> >
> > and I queried for "host.domain.com" I would get an authoritative
> > answer, but not when querrying for "sub.domain.com".
>
> Right. That's because host is INSIDE domain.com which the server is
> (assumedly) authoritative for, but sub.domain.com is another domain with
> another zone table which this server is not authoritative for.

I learned meanwhile, that - although there are entries in their zone
files, and one could therefore easily come to the (wrong) assumption that
authoritative answers should be given - I wouldn't get authoritative
answers for NS record which delegate a subdomain, and for glue records
(i.e. A records) which specify a host (usually the name server for a
delegated subdomain) which is outside (or in a subdomain of) the own
domain.

I remember, in NetSol's webinterface, only "registered" hosts can be used
as authoritative name servers for second level domains like "domain.com".
At their website, they have the option to register an host for this
purpose. Once a host is registered, it can be used as name server for many
domains.
Is this "host registering" nothing else, than for the purpose to put glue
data (i.e. an A record pointing to that host) into the root zone?

I think, I am nearly there...
Thanks everybody!

Stefan