Single domain fails lookup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jul 31 20:30:28 UTC 2000

Bob Dozier wrote:

> There is domain 'utpb.edu' that will fail to resolve an address when our
> customers attempt to get to the site. All other domains will get an
> address resolved with our DNS. The 'utpb.edu' domain will continue to
> fail until we restart DNS services. This domain is not in our DNS system.
> This has happened with this domain on several occasions. Is it something
> I can control or is it something the system admin of that domain needs to
> address? Thanks!

I can resolve that just fine right now, and a quick check of the domain
reveals no obvious problems. It's difficult to troubleshoot a problem that
doesn't appear to exist.

Next time this happens, why don't you try running some queries manually --
query the name itself, then do an NS query of the domain, an A query of each
of the nameservers listed for the domain, then repeat all 3 of those queries
*to* each those nameservers? The results of those queries should probably
help narrow down the problem.