auth-nxdomain

peter at icke-reklam.ipsec.dot..nu peter at icke-reklam.ipsec.dot..nu
Thu Jun 1 16:24:36 UTC 2000

Nikos Voutsinas <nvoutsin at noc.uoa.gr> wrote:

>> In article <002301bfcbc5$97890b40$796486c3 at noc.uoa.gr>,
>> Nikos Voutsinas <nvoutsin at noc.uoa.gr> wrote:
>> >How can I declare the auth-nxdomain?
>>
>> What do you mean by this?

> Hello again,

> I have an OpenView asking me for PTR records, for the most of the router
> devices there in not a PTR records . So I want to avoid asking authoritative
> servers and get each time the same response [Error: 3(Name Error)]

Whats the problem with creating those PTR records ? A one-time effort
that will help documenting the network anyway ...

The nice thing with openview (as i recall it) is that it will
connect toghether all routerinterfaces that resolvs to the same
name into one router on your map. Without PTR records (or other means)
it might auto-discover routerinterfaces and create more routers then
you actually have ...

> I also want to convince the resolrver  on the machine ,where the OpenView is
> running not to asking me again and again for not existent PTR records.
> That's why I need negative cache.
> I' ve also read that I should check for the auth-nxdomain option to flag
> cashed negative responses as authoritative.
> How can I enable or disable this feature?
> Do you have any other solution ?

>> >       Also Is there any way to increase the
>> >"TTL" of negative cashed responses?
>>
>> The MinTTL field of the SOA record specifies the negative cache TTL.
>>

> So there isn't any option like Solaris's  nscd for negative time to live
> time

> Nikos Voutsinas

Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)
echo "peter (at) ipsec (dot) nu" | sed "s/(at)/@/g " | sed "s/(dot)/\./g"|sed "s/ //g"