Dynamic update problem

yannis_pavlidis at my-deja.com yannis_pavlidis at my-deja.com
Thu Jun 1 17:14:56 UTC 2000

Hi,

I am kind of new to the dns world so I would
appreciate if you could enlighten me on a couple
of issues.

I am using the latest bind software (8.2.5b) on
two Linux machines.

I am trying to implement dynamic updates on DNS
services (SRV). My questions are the following:

1. after restarting the named it takes some time
to accept its first dynamic update (local or from
another machine).
After accepting the first one everything is ok.

2. I cannot make a dynamic update from a remote
machine. All the dynamic updates from the local
machine succeed.
Even if I am root or another simple user. When I
am doing the dynamic update from a remote host to
the dns server and
I trace it (nsupdate -d) I see that everything
goes ok (goes to the right dns e.t.c.) but when
it calls the res_nupdate
it gives back NOTAUTH. The authentication I am
using is with IP address (allow-update{..}).
I checked the named source code and it seems that
returns that error code in 2 cases.
But could understand much (something about
authorative)

I do not have any problems of course retrieving
information about DNS SRV either local or from a
remote machine.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Yannis