Newbie needs more help

johnny cal johnnycal at ispchannel.com
Thu Jun 1 07:29:35 UTC 2000

>OK so now I've set up a primary and secondary dns and have succesfully
>changed my domains to point to the new hosts.
>
>Now...
>
>how do i get it so that when someone types www.mydomain.com they get a
html
>file from my http server which is not on the same machine as the dns
>server???
>
>Thanks in advance.

you need to have something like this in your db.mydomain.com file

www.mydomain.com IN A IP.OF.YOUR.SERVER

and in the web server configuration (httpd.conf) under apache

<VirtualHost IP.OF.YOUR.SERVER>  OR <VirtualHost www.mydomain.com>
ServerAdmin webmaster
DocumentRoot /path_to_index.html/
ServerName www.mydomain.com
#if you put the www.mydomain.com put this -> ServerAlias mydomain.com
TransferLog /path_to_log/access_log
ErrorLog /path_to_log/error_log
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /path_to_cgibin/cgi-bin/
</VirtualHost>

make sure these directories are created, then run
/pathtoapache/apachectl configtest

restart and if doesnt' work look at
strace /pathtohttpd/ &2 > 1 | more  or grep "No Such"

give you something to see

john
ps :: really recommend you buy dns and bind and apache book