Strange DNS Resolution Issues

M. D. Parker mdpc at allwebsites.com
Thu Jun 1 22:53:37 UTC 2000

I work for a company that is currently hosting several hundred
domain names.  There are two servers primary/secondary running
the latest production release of Bind on a Linux 2.2.14 kernel.
The primary server itself is pretty idle but on a network that
is moderately busy all the time.

Customers of these domains are reporting that different domains and
at different times are not resolvable but only at specific locations.
This sometimes happens for hours at a time without specific reason.
When researching these reports using about 5 other sites distributed
over the US, no problem is noted.  Yet the customers are to say
the least pointing to the company as the source of the problem.
These customers have web sites on these domains and so the accesses
to these sites (and attempted resolutions) can come nearly from
anywhere.

I understand propogation issues, broken DNSs, network congestion
issues. But again trying to tell the web site hosters that their
customers cannot get access due to their customers' local issue
is really a problem.  They get kinda annoyed and do not understand.
The customer base are those people involved in web site production
but do not really understand the underpinnings of the internet.

It is feared that this is happening more often to our company
than others but I have no data to support this.   Could this be
some type of competative attack too?

As things are properly configured and functional on this end,
I'm really at a loss here as to how to proceed.

I guess I'm asking how I should attempt to find and stamp out
this issue which is obviously detrimental to the company.  Anybody
have any ideas as to what to do and where to do and what measures
should be taken?

Thanks for your feedback.

Mike