Malformed response - AIX 4.9.3 interaction with Solaris 4.9.7 (fwd)

Dave DeChellis derelict at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Jun 2 16:46:18 UTC 2000

 We had a problem with a AIX 4.9.3 server which, in one of it's zones,
 had a host with 26 "A" records for round-robin purposes.  A Solaris
 server (4.9.7) has this AIX server configured in it's forwarders line -
 and clients doing lookups to this Solaris machine could successfully
 look up hosts in the entire zone on the AIX server.

 The number of "A" records was increased by 1 to 27, and clients
 connecting to the Solaris server could NOT resolve this one host, but
 could resolve other hosts in the domain.  In addition, querying the AIX
 server directly did return 27 A records.    Packets were seen coming
 from the AIX server with all 27 IPs but a bad host repsonse was sent to
 the client.    On another DNS server (Solaris 8.2.3P5), we got the
 following messages in the log file:

 Jun  2 10:18:02 jupiter named[23879]:XX+/192.168.1.1/foobar.baz.com/A/IN
 Jun  2 10:18:02 jupiter named[23879]: Malformed response from
 [172.26.31.1].53 (out of data in final pass)

 Does anyone know of any possible issues/bugs?  Besides the fact that
 the servers are running 4.9 :)

 Thanks,
 Dave