domain lookup results

Phil Steinke phil at niko.cmc.ca
Mon Jun 5 15:58:22 UTC 2000

I'm curious about how BIND looks up domain entries.  I'm trying to do "A"
queries on domains that don't have IP's associated with them (such as
cadence.com or synopsys.com) as part of an email anti-spam setup.  Some DNS
servers will return "No address (A) records available for cadence.com",
which I consider to be the correct response.  However, others will return
"Non-existent host/domain", which would cause any mail from that domain to
be rejected.

I'm testing this on a BIND setup that I control, and the results almost seem
random to me.  Can anyone help me get it to return "No address..."
consistently for valid domains, or perhaps explain why it will sometimes
work, and sometimes not?  If you'd like to see config files, log output, etc
just let me know.  Thanks...

--
Phil Steinke                                                    phil at cmc.ca
Network Ops (UNIX)                                             613-530-4664