unapproved query from ...

Neil W Rickert rickert+nn at cs.niu.edu
Tue Jun 6 02:09:31 UTC 2000

I'm running  named 8.2.2-P3 (on mp.cs.niu.edu)

I am seeing occasion messages logged, such as

Jun  5 20:28:56 mp named[199]: unapproved query from [192.132.210.181].1024 for "www.soci.niu.edu"

However, I have explicitly allowed queries for zone niu.edu.

The particular request that generated this log message was

Jun  5 20:28:56 mp named[199]: XX /192.132.210.181/www.soci.niu.edu/ANY/ANY

It appears that requests for class=ANY trigger the "unapproved query"
response, even when there is an approved response that could be
given.

There is an option statement disallowing all queries, except from
hosts with ip address 131.156.*.*.  There is a statement in the zone
declaration explicitly allowing queries from anywhere for data within
the niu.edu zone.