ping retains old address

Christine Tran Christine.Tran at east.sun.com
Tue Jun 6 21:41:55 UTC 2000

I'm running BIND 8.2.2p5 on Solaris 2.8, I'm logged in on the box.  I was
adding a new A and PTR RR and fat-fingered it.  Both forward and reverse RR
were wrong in a consistent manner.

Should be:	foo	192.168.242.157	(alive)
Mistake:	foo	192.168.242.187 (non-existent)

After kill -HUP (sorry, that new-fangled ndc stuff is still a paradigm leap away)
I 'ping -sn' the box, realized the mistake, re-edited, and kill -HUP again.  Now
nslookup returns the correct address (157); but when I 'ping -sn' again, ping
retained the old address (187).

	% ping -sn foo
	PING foo (192.168.242.187): 56 data bytes
	^C
	----foo PING Statistics----
	21 packets transmited, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

Hmmm.. I waited a bit, ping again, same thing.  Why this cranky behavior?
I trussed ping, it does an open() on /etc/.name_service_door.  Never one to
let something I don't understand get in my way, I waxed that file to oblivion.
Now ping works with the correct address.  What am I seeing here?  BTW that
door is not recreated, though subsequent pings still try to open it.  Cannot
reproduce ping's bad behavior since the waxing of that door.  What's it for?

CT