Restart for Bind NT

WebWiz webwiz at atlcon.net
Wed Jun 7 13:12:40 UTC 2000

>> From: "Noa DeLorme" <noa at platic.com>
>> Subject: script to restart bind for NT
>> Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:05:41 -0500

>> Hey,
>> I'm looking for a script that will test if bind is working, and if not
>> restart Bind 8 for NT.
>> or to be simpler, just restart it every 2 days...
>>
>> reason is-
>>
>> my bind will just conk out after a few days for no apparent reason. there
is
>> nothing in the event logs or anything. Anyone else have/had this problem?

There is a bug in Bind 8.2.2p5 for NT that will cause it to stop responding
to requests.  As best I can tell, a query that returns more than 27 'A'
records will kill it.  Unfortunately, PKZip for Windows (Shareware) includes
an Ad Rotator that periodically does just such a query.

The restart is pretty simple...a batch file with one line:

    net stop "ISC BIND" & net start "ISC BIND"

will stop and immediately restart Bind and should wake it up.

You can schedule this using NT's AT command:

  at 02:00am /every:Monday,Wednesday,Friday,Sunday
"c:\scripts\restartbind.bat"

would schedule a script called restartbind.bat to run at 2:00am on the days
listed.

Make sure the Schedule service is started on the machine and is set to
"Automatic" so that it restarts between boots.

Regards,
Eric Longman
Atl-Connect Internet Services

| Atl-Connect Internet Services   http://www.atlcon.net |
| 3600 Dallas Hwy Ste 230-288              770 590-0888 |
| Marietta, GA 30064-1685            support at atlcon.net |