named -u named

Johnno johnno at nospam.casebook.org
Wed Jun 7 07:57:19 UTC 2000

"Tony Grace" <tony at opensystems.net.au> wrote:

> Just a security query.
> Redhat 6.2 - BIND 8.2.2_P5-9
> Normal process status gives /usr/sbin/named
> My named service stoped answering and I had    'named -u named'
> as the process status
> Is this a possible DOS attack on named, I can find no supporting logs
> in /var/log/messages to support an attack.

No, it's not any kind of DOS attack.

The named startup script in BIND 8.2.2-P5 and later by default runs named as
a non-privileged user (user "named").

Have a look at /etc/rc.d/init.d/named.

The -u flag allows you to specify that named should run as a user other than
root, which is quite a good idea.

If you start named by running the binary (rather than the script), named will
run as root (unless you pass another username as an argument to -u).

--
Johnno (johnno at nospam.casebook.org)
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~japp

.