All about CNAME record

G. Del Merritt dmerritt at intranets.com
Wed Jun 7 16:53:09 UTC 2000

At 01:21 AM 6/7/00 +0000, agentnnn at my-deja.com wrote:
>Sorry for replying to old posts...so what reasons would someone want to
>use a CNAME?  I can only think of a few mail issues but I may not even
>be right about that.  Is it for organization puposes?

Nowadays it's common to want to bundle services that look like you provide
them even when you don't.  CNAME's are a convenient way to allow that to
happen, since you more than likely don't have administrative rights over
the actual providers' namespace.  So you point to it via CNAME.

CNAMEs within a zone of control seem less useful in general.  Mapping PTR
records sanely is one obvious problem.

G. Del Merritt                                dmerritt at intranets.com
http://www.intranets.com - Get everyone on the same page(sm)