Compile user program and resolver

Cory Spitz spitzcor at cse.msu.edu
Fri Jun 9 15:35:36 UTC 2000

All,
I am attempting to compile a simple c program on Red Hat Linux 6.1,
kernel 2.2.12-20.  This is what I have:

$ gcc -I/usr/local/bind/include -c testprogram.c
In file included from testprogram.c:5:
/usr/local/bind/include/resolv.h:119: invalid exception specifications
/usr/local/bind/include/resolv.h:126: invalid exception specifications

This is what that resolv.h file looks like:
    114 typedef res_sendhookact (*res_send_qhook)__P((struct sockaddr_in
* const *ns,
    115                                               const u_char
**query,
    116                                               int *querylen,
    117                                               u_char *ans,
    118                                               int anssiz,
    119                                               int *resplen));
    120
    121 typedef res_sendhookact (*res_send_rhook)__P((const struct
sockaddr_in *ns,
    122                                               const u_char
*query,
    123                                               int querylen,
    124                                               u_char *ans,
    125                                               int anssiz,
    126                                               int *resplen));

I don't understand these typedef's, I don't understand the "__P"
business, and I don't understand the compiler error.  Can anyone tell me
what these mean, and if I can safely comment these out in resolv.h???

Thanks,
-Cory Spitz