DNS Problem PLEASE HELP.

Justin Denney denneyj at lineone.net
Sat Jun 10 01:52:23 UTC 2000

I'm configuring DNS on my linux machine and I've get it
to do external queries for IP masquerading, bit I want it to
work for my internal network.  I'm trying it on a network
with 3 computer jay (the computer I'm trying to run the
DNS on), terminator2 and server.  The domain name is
craven.com and the internal network is 10.0.0.  Here a
screen dump of what happens.

[root at jay named]# nslookup
Default Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> 127.0.0.1
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

> set q=any
> craven.com
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find craven.com: Server failed

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me solve it, its driving me mad....

Justin.......

/etc/named.boot

;
; a caching only nameserver config
;
directory       /var/named
cache           .                      named.ca
primary         0.0.127.in-addr.arpa   named.local
primary         craven.com             named.craven.com
;primary                0.0.10.in-addr.arpa    named.10.0.0 commented out
for the moment

/var/named/named.local
@       IN      SOA jay.craven.com. hostmaster.jay.craven.com. (
                        1 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; default_ttl
                        )
        NS      jay.craven.com.
1       PTR     localhost.

/var/named/named.craven.com

@       IN      SOA     jay.craven.com. hostmaster.jay.craven.com. (
                        1 ; serial
                        28800 ; refresh
                        7200 ; retry
                        604800 ; expire
                        86400 ; default_ttl
                        )

                NS              jay.craven.com.
                MX      10      jay.craven.com

localhost.      A       127.0.0.1
ns              A       127.0.0.1
mail            A       127.0.0.1

; commented out
;server         A       10.0.0.10
;               HINFO   "i686"  "Windows98"

;terminator2     A       10.0.0.5
;               HINFO   "i686"  "Windows98"

;jay            A       10.0.0.1
;               HINFO   "i686"  "Linux Mandrake 7.0"