alias naming by a newbie problem

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Sat Jun 10 00:29:06 UTC 2000

A CNAME cannot have non-CNAME records associated with it. Either the name
aliases to another name or it doesn't; you can't have it both ways. Look at
your zone file: you have an SOA, an NS (shouldn't there be at least
*two* NS'es, by the way?) and an A record all associated with the name
"91901realestate.com". Because of the existence of those other records, the
CNAME is illegal.

Simple solution: instead of a CNAME, just replace the contents of the
"91901realestate.com" A record with the address of the "santee-homes.com"
A record.

Additionally, if you want "91901realestate.com" and "santee-homes.com" to
always have *identical* information, and you want to save yourself a little
maintenance, then you could use the same zone file for both zones, as long
as you eliminate the $ORIGIN directives and use "@" as the left-hand-side
of the SOA record. That way, all of the names are "relative", and named
will interpret the same labels as "91901realestate.com" names when it loads
the file as the "91901realestate.com" zone, and "santee-homes.com" names
when it loads the file as the "santee-homes.com" zone.

- Kevin