Changing where BIND logs to

hilgart at my-deja.com hilgart at my-deja.com
Mon Jun 12 15:43:36 UTC 2000

In article <002501bfcd77$ec2f0510$7cc2a8ce at WALTERB>,
  "Cricket Liu" <cricket at acmebw.com> wrote:
> >     I'm running a linux server with bind 8
> >     At the moment named logs all events to /var/log/messages.
> >     Is there anyway to change where this logs to
> >     I dont want my messages file to cantain all this other stuff at
is
> > can be hard to look through the log files.
>
> Sure.  Take a look at the logging statement.  You'll
> probably want to define a file channel to send all
> output to.  Or you could use syslog.conf to send
> all daemon facility messages to a file other than
> /var/log/messages.
>
> cricket

On a related but more complex note, under Solaris 2.6 I noticed I wasn't
getting any periodic statistics summaries.  This is because (according
to my own investigation) that syslog.conf has the daemon  at only
_notice_ severity, not info.

If you switch the severity to info (daemon.info), you start to get the
statistics summaries, which is good, but also a whole lot of other junk
from other services, etc.  This fills up /var/adm/messages, obscuring
important system messages.

Now I could spit out info messages from BIND 8 into a file with the
logging statement mentioned above, but in that case I don't see any
timestamps in front of the message, so that's no good since timestamps
are so key to understanding problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-john