easy question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 12 17:32:26 UTC 2000

flaps at dgp.toronto.edu wrote:

> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> writes:
> >flaps at dgp.toronto.edu wrote:
> [if your search list says example.com]
> >> You can certainly type http://www into your web browser if you're looking
> >> for www.example.com.
> >
> >Do you know anyone with Internet mail and web access who only needs to
> >surf/mail 6 domains or less?
>
> I'm saying you type the short names for your local hosts, and the fqdns for
> remote hosts.

That requires *thought*, i.e. to mentally discriminate between "local" and
"remote" hosts. Maybe your .edu users can handle it; most of my .com ones would
just find it confusing. Those that wouldn't be confused, would abuse the
infrastructure by configuring searchlists just so they could avoid a little
typing. And then they'd complain when the 7th searchlist component didn't work and
insist that I "fix" it. Or the "clever" ones build websites using short names in
their links (hey, it works for them, right?), and then *I* get the problem calls
when people in other parts of the corporation (i.e. with different default domains
and/or searchlists) can't navigate their sites. We already see these symptoms in
parts of the corporation where I cannot enforce the use of FQDN's. It's an unholy
mess.

It's tragic that I have to cater to the lowest common denominator. Tragic but
necessary.