Bind8 Dynamic DNS How-To?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Jun 12 21:29:56 UTC 2000

Jeff Newton wrote:

> I've been using Bind 8.2.2 for a while now but I'd like to start
> implementing the dynamic DNS features for our many DHCP Windoze
> machines.  Plus with Win2K fast approaching.....

Prepare to be disappointed. From what I gather, there is no way for
Win2K to make strongly-authenticated Dynamic Updates to BIND, and
without proper authentication, not only is there the obvious security
risk, but there's really nothing to stop the Win2K boxes from stomping
on each other's records (since the server can't really tell one client
from another). Of course, Microsoft has this problem "solved", as long
as you use *their* servers for DNS instead of BIND. Yippee.