Official name for unofficial internal domains (home dial-up users)?

Alan J Rosenthal flaps at dgp.toronto.edu
Mon Jun 12 23:15:44 UTC 2000

"Oldserver" <marc at oldserver.demon.nl> writes:
>You can make up your own TLD..., in BIND anyway. Say e.g. "home". So you
>can have "my.home" as your private domain. Or "myhome.priv".

Yes, but then suppose that "home" or "priv" is created as a new gTLD?
"Home" in particular seems not too unlikely.

I do think we need something analogous to RFC 1918 which specifies a set of
private TLDs.  I'm not at all worried about this issue for my home network
(between the low probability of a match and the low difficulty of changing
for only eight or so machines -- actually not even every machine would need
changes!) but were I to be rolling out a large RFC1918-addressed network
I would be concerned about this (still a low probability of a match but in
this case multiplied by a high difficulty of changeover).

There ought to be a way to do it *right*, analogous to the way to allocate
private IP addresses *right* as specified by RFC 1918.  The designer of
a large RFC-1918-addressed network should be able to choose a private
TLD which they can know will never be used on the internet, will never
be delegated by a root server, their private use of this TLD will never
prevent them from resolving a name on the internet.

The last time I said this someone told me of RFC 2606, which is worth
knowing about, but I don't think that any of the reserved TLDs in RFC 2606
are intended for this sort of use, they're for testing and they're for
deliberately-invalid TLDs (and there's also localhost).

I propose that all TLDs beginning with the four letters "priv" (including
"priv" itself) are reserved.  Does anyone agree that there should be an RFC
which is listed as an update to RFC 2606 which institutes this reservation?
And are any of the alternative root zones currently delegating a TLD which
begins with "priv", or do any of the current proposals include one?

(Note that "pr" is an ISO 3166 two-letter country code, and "pri" is more
suggestive of "priority" than "private"; so I'm proposing "priv" as the
prefix, but any label starting with these four letters, e.g. you could use
"private1" and "private2", or whatever ("privies" for the user laptop zone?).)