Bind on a nonstandard port.

Peter van Rensburg peter at systemsfusion.com
Mon Jun 12 23:11:36 UTC 2000

Hi

I have looked through the archives but haven't quite seen this specific
application of bind mentioned. I have bind 8.2.2p5 running on Solaris 8
box behind a firewall. I run two instances of the binary, one on port 53
for serving the internal zones and another on port 40 to serve the
external zones. I do portforwarding on the firewall from port 53 to port
40. Everything works fine except using the nameserver from another
machine outside the firewall to do recursive lookups, the nameserver
seems to contact the root servers on port 40 to find the primary
nameserver? Is this an inherent problem to recursive dns resolution
(continue using the same port) ?? Has anyone seen this or know of any
solutions?

Thank you,
--
Peter van Rensburg