Message for Bind-users

Brij.Dhadwal Brij.Dhadwal at bmo.com
Tue Jun 13 12:16:24 UTC 2000

Hi Everyone,

My name is Brij Dhadwal.

I am in the process of evaluating open DNS on NT, other than in Unix. My
interest is sparked on the version 4.9.5 of BIND (for Windows NT 4.0 srpk
4) and am interested. After going through the documents provided and
testing the same in my lab, I am very impressed with the functioning of
the software.  One of the main reasons to use this version of DNS is that
it is an open system and allows me to program the databases according to
my needs.

I am not clear on the ascept of exclusions from the list of characters
written in the databases. The character "_" (underscore) is not readily
accepted as a DNS name and I could not find the syntax for including "_"
as an option in the database as a DNS name character.

Eg.
qs_server_name  IN      A       192.168.11.121

The name qs_server_name not only generates errors in the event viewer, but
also I cannot resolve the name. Unfortunately the use of names of the
above example type is mandatory to my technical and business needs.

I would request you to please help me out with the following. If not, you
can please point me to the right source or the right program version to do
the job. My limitations are to use DNS program on NT, but not to use DNS
for NT which comes bundled together.

Thank you in anticipation.

Brij Dhadwal,
Technology Support - MasterCard - EBS
Bank of Montreal, 3300 Bloor Street West,
West Tower 14th Floor, MGC, Toronto M8X 2X2.
Tel : (416) 232 8307   Fax : [416] 232 8562   Pager : [416] 664 8570

E-mail : brij.dhadwal at bmo.com